Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fisticuffs

Adam, 34, never married, no kids, match.com

Going out for dinner on a first date is a real crapshoot.  It can either go famously well (in which case you aren't sweating the fact you are, at a minimum, committed to a total stranger for 45 minutes).  Or it can backfire and leave you wanting to pull your hair out, wondering why you didn't propose coffee.

I tend to give most guys a, "Get out of Jail free" card on the first date.  Nerves are a funny thing, and I don't think people are truly themselves on a first date.  But when the conversation focuses on someone's upbringing and how his Dad beat his Mom, I tend to sweat a little bit under the collar.  It is true you should not judge others...however, in a free society of dating, I do not have to choose to w with someone who grew up in a household with that type of behavior.  I thought we had moved beyond the topic when all of a sudden he asked me:  "So, have you ever been in a fight?"  I about choked on my Panang Curry.  I said, "You mean, like a fist fight?"  He said, "Yeah."  I wiped the corners of my mouth with the napkin and said, "Um, no, I wasn't raised by wolves.  And what kind of question is that anyway?"  Insert awkward silence in the date... And within minutes the check came and I think both of us were ready to part ways.  So we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment